The Brian Jonestown Massacre is a seminal psychedelic rock band founded by Anton Newcombe in San Francisco, California in the early 1990s. The band’s name is a combination of the first name of The Rolling Stones’ guitarist Brian Jones and the infamous Jonestown Massacre incident, creating a juxtaposition that reflects their unique and often experimental music. Known for their distinctive sound that blends psychedelic, shoegaze, and garage rock influences, The Brian Jonestown Massacre has garnered a dedicated following and has left an indelible mark on the alternative music scene.
Formed by Anton Newcombe, The Brian Jonestown Massacre emerged during the 1990s as part of the neo-psychedelia revival, drawing inspiration from the psychedelic rock sounds of the 1960s while infusing their music with their own distinctive flair. The band’s early releases, including their debut album “Methodrone” in 1995, captured their raw and experimental approach to songwriting and recording. Tracks like “Evergreen” and “Wisdom” showcased their penchant for creating dreamy and immersive sonic landscapes.
The Brian Jonestown Massacre gained a reputation for their volatile and unpredictable live performances, which sometimes included confrontations with audience members or technical issues. Despite these challenges, their music continued to resonate with fans who appreciated their authenticity and dedication to their craft.
In 1996, the band released two influential albums, “Take It from the Man!” and “Their Satanic Majesties’ Second Request.” These albums showcased their ability to seamlessly blend elements of rock ‘n’ roll, psychedelia, and folk, creating a diverse and dynamic sonic palette. Tracks like “Not If You Were the Last Dandy on Earth” and “Anemone” became fan favorites and solidified The Brian Jonestown Massacre’s place within the psychedelic rock revival movement.
Throughout the years, the band underwent various lineup changes, with Anton Newcombe serving as the constant driving force and creative visionary behind the music. Despite the changes, The Brian Jonestown Massacre’s sound continued to evolve, incorporating influences from shoegaze, world music, and even electronic elements.
In recent years, The Brian Jonestown Massacre has maintained a steady output of music, releasing albums like “Revelation” in 2014 and “Something Else” in 2018. These albums demonstrated their ongoing commitment to exploration and experimentation, allowing them to continuously reinvent their sound while staying true to their psychedelic roots.
- “Methodrone” (1995)
- “Take It from the Man!” (1996)
- “Their Satanic Majesties’ Second Request” (1996)
- “Give It Back!” (1997)
- “Strung Out in Heaven” (1998)
- “Bravery, Repetition and Noise” (2001)
- “And This Is Our Music” (2003)
- “My Bloody Underground” (2008)
- “Who Killed Sgt. Pepper?” (2010)
- “Aufheben” (2012)
- “Revelation” (2014)
- “Third World Pyramid” (2016)
- “Don’t Get Lost” (2017)
- “Something Else” (2018)
- “The Brian Jonestown Massacre” (2019)
- “My Bloody Underground (2019 Remix)” (2019)
- “Spacegirl and Other Favorites” (2020)
- “The Brian Jonestown Massacre” (2021)
The band’s lineup has changed over the years, and its founder, Anton Newcombe, has been the consistent member.The lineup may have changed, but here are some of the core and notable members who have been part of the band at various times:
- Anton Newcombe – Vocals, Guitar, and Founder.
- Matt Hollywood – Guitar, Vocals.
- Joel Gion – Tambourine, Maracas, Vocals.
- Ricky Maymi – Guitar, Bass, Keyboard.
- Collin Hegna – Bass, Guitar.
- Dan Allaire – Drums, Percussion.
- Jeff Davies – Guitar, Bass.
- Miranda Lee Richards – Vocals, Bass.
- Frankie “Teardrop” Emerson – Guitar, Bass.
- Dave Koenig – Guitar, Bass.
Social Media and Music Platforms
- Website: http://www.brianjonestownmassacre.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Musician-Band/brianjonestownmassacre/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/brianjonesfans
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/brianjonestownmassacre/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/antonnewcombe
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/4UVN5BOk6STYbEEv7B7rLd